June 3rd- Invitation to the Policemen’s Ball by Dawnwind

It was a dance. Never formally choreographed, but there was flow and rhythm. Synchronized actions with a downbeat of violence. The melody line was he and Starsky, stepping in to control the mayhem. Hutch felt the pattern of their movements in a way he never did on the disco floor. Here he knew what came next, where he should be, where Starsky would be.

He went high and Starsky went low, surging into any situation fluidly, able to anticipate the other’s whereabouts.

Until the day it changed.

The discordant scrape of metal on metal grated on the ears. An explosion of bullets.

“Starsky!” Hutch’s gun was in his hand before thought took over. He shot high, over the roof of the Torino, expecting to hear the syncopated beat of Starsky’s pistol harmonizing with his.

Instead, the engine of the stolen cruiser roared and the assassins raced out of the parking lot, spraying bullets in their wake.

Hutch stood, jangly and flat-footed. Fear drowned out the expected duet. Where was Starsky?

He found his partner, arms and legs limp, blood draining from his damaged body. Hutch couldn’t breathe, but he knew the steps. Knew the moves of their new dance as if he’d been waiting all his life to perform this particular ballet.

He went to his knees, positioned his hands precisely, and inhaled. There was no melody, just an internal metronome to keep him on the beat.

One breath in to fill the lungs, lips pressed firmly against Starsky’s. Push down on the chest fifteen times. Maintain the circulation swirling through his body, listen to the downbeat of his heart.

He felt Starsky take his part, straining to stay alive. A pas-de-deux for survival. “Dance with me, babe.” Hutch took his partner’s hand.

Blue eyes opened, accepting the challenge.

This entry was posted in Fic, Gen. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to June 3rd- Invitation to the Policemen’s Ball by Dawnwind

1. provencepuss says:

you just made an SR junkie cry before breakfast …and it was worth it! This is truly beautiful, Dawne. Their ‘dance’ here is a pas de deux for the dying swan.

• Dawnebeth says:

Aw, thanks! What’s funny is, Dance was the prompt on an lj list for The Professionals. I never did come up with a Pros story for that challenge, but Starsky and Hutch flowed out.

2. Carol says:

WOW…that was mindblowing. Thank you Dawn, and yep another cry from another Sweet Revenge junkie. You know I love your stories…thank you.

3. wightfaerie says:

Wow. Too early for this dance-lol. Excellent, babe.

4. Dianne says:

SR this early in the morning – Whew! This was beautiful Dawn. You could feel the pull between the two when those “Blue eyes opened, accepting the challenge.”

Thanks Dawn!

Dianne

• Dawnebeth says:

Thank you. That last line vexed me–I knew the story wasn’t finished until I hit on the right combination of words. And yet, it took a day or two to select what worked best. Interesting, isn’t it, how a similar word doesn’t have the right fit.

5. Duluth says:

Excellent, lyrical, and moving. Music is a deep part of my life and to have that moment put in a way I can so strongly relate to makes me hurt. It describes everything so well. Thank you, Dawn!

• Dawnebeth says:

I think there’s music in every cell of my body. I sing all the time, so yes, I like to feel the flow and meter of the words when I write. thanks, sweetling.

6. spencer5460 says:

That was beautiful! So unique! So perfect! Can I think of anything else to say? Oh, yeah, you inspired me.

7. marianrose says:

Magnificent! I loved the sound of the music playing through your words. And the image of the dance could not be better for S&H. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful writing!

• Dawnebeth says:

Dance was a word challenge for The Professionals–but every time I envisioned the story in my head, Starsky and Hutch stepped in to move to the music. I had to give in to them. lol Thanks for reading.

8. Sam KW says:

Beautiful- Soooo much! Got me all teared up. And I love Hutch going into action, going his thing- keeping up with their dance, no matter what! Sad but at the sane time… Gives so much hope because it all sound positive.

• Dawnebeth says:

Thank you. So many stories have Hutch frozen, unable to touch Starsky–and that works beautifully, as well. But I needed them together, joined in the dance of life as partners.

9. Crazykater says:

Absolutely beautiful.
    I, literally, don’t have a compliment that would do this story justice.

10. Chocolate Egg says:

This brief story captured that brief moment and gave it a new life – Hutch, instinct taking over, giving Starsky his breath to keep him alive. And Starsky responding, to keep Me and Thee alive. Well done, as always.

• Dawnebeth says:

Oh, I like that ‘Starsky responding, to keep Me and Thee alive.’ yeah. Thank you for reading.

11. Nancy says:

Beautiful indeed!!

12. Kat says:

Wow. A small story with a big punch! Well done!

• Dawnebeth says:

Merci. I often think drabbles can be difficult to write effectively, but this one flowed out.

13. Jennifer C says:

So glad you guys put a name to what I am: an SR Junkie. And Dawn, you lead the way by posting these lovely, poignant stories. Another one by you to add to my collection!

• Dawnebeth says:

You mean I get to be queen of the SR junkies? Cool! I’m so happy you liked my little story.

14. Pat Ackor says:

I’ll have to start logging on earlier in the day, I guess; 27 SR lovers ahead of me, it seems. So few words, Dawn, such powerful images. Lyrical and succinct, sweet and gut-wrenching. And a perfect final sentence. Thanks so much!

• Dawnebeth says:

Lol–only half of those are story comments–the rest are my replies. Thank you so much for reading! You should try a drabble (100 words) or double or triple drabble. So few words, so difficult to get just right. 😉 It’s a challenge.

15. susan (taass64) says:

Really beautiful capture of those frightening moments! I love the music analogy, so fitting and true. I can never get enough SR stories. This is one I’m definitely filing to reread a lot!

16. Kerrys2Boys says:

Oh God….so beautiful Dawn.

• Dawnebeth says:

Ta, Kerry, that means a lot to me. Got to get these stories out of my head or they just multiply.

17. bee says:

Beautifully written, Dawn!!!
    ;D

18. Keri says:

This is a lyrical and touching read, Dawn. the imagery of the dance was really special. Thank you!

19. Dawnebeth says:

I’m so happy you enjoyed it! Starsky and Hutch dance through every episode.

20. Elaine says:

Hit all the right notes here, love the fluidity. Thanks Dawn!

21. LauraY says:

Really beautiful. The way they responded to each other was really like a dance with it’s give and take. Especially liked the line, “Fear drowned out the expected duet.” There was something profound in the silence after Hutch stopped shooting, immediately before he saw Starsky down, and this captured that moment.

22. hardboiledbaby says:

Oh yes. It is always a dance with these two, even in this. Beautifully done, Dawn.

23. Dawnebeth says:

It takes two to tango–and nobody dances like Ramon with his partner.

Comments are closed.